Cook-Rutledge Mansion

Photographed September 26-27, 2014
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society
Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
44° 55.984′ N, 91° 23.977′ W

COOK-RUTLEDGE MANSION
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa Falls for $2,500. Bingham immediately began construction of a house completing the original structure in 1874 at a cost of $7,600.

Bingham died in January 1885, but his wife continued to live in the house until August 1887 when the property was sold to lumber man Edward Rutledge and his wife Hannah for $5,500. The home you see today is the result of the Rutledge's extensive remodeling and additions.

After Hannah died in 1910 and Edward in 1911, the house was empty for a time while a lengthy search of heirs was conducted. The mansion was then bought by the Frederick Weyerhaeuser Company for $10,000 in 1914. They sold it to Christoper Sundet of Chippewa Falls in 1915, who subdivided the southern half of the block into eight residential lots. That same year, Sundet sold the mansion to Dayton E. Cook, a prominent local attorney, who later served many years as county judge.

The Cook family owned and lived in the home from 1915 until 1973 when daughter Mabel Cook sold the mansion to the Chippewa County Historical Society.
Recognizing its historical significance and High Victorian-Italianate style architecture, the Mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
NOTE: According to the Inflation Calculator, what cost $2,500 in 1873 would cost $49,935.53 in 2013; what cost $7,600 in 1874 would cost $154,368.65 in 2013; what cost $5,500 in 1887 would cost $104,474.66 in 2013; and what cost $10,000 in 1914 would cost $229,244.83 in 2013.

The marker is located at the intersection of westbound West Grand Avenue and northbound Albert Street, on the grounds of The Cook-Rutledge Mansion, at 505 West Grand Avenue, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin 54729.




This marker is No. 14 in a series of historical markers erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society.

See also, Edward Rutledge Charity and Hannah M. Rutledge Home for the Aged, related markers at nearby locations.




The entrance to the mansion is on Albert Street.

Screenshots of vintage postcard courtesy of CardCow.com
Cook-Rutledge Mansion
505 W. Grand Ave,
5 blocks west of Hotel Northern.
The Cook-Rutledge Mansion is listed in the National Registry [sic] of Historical Places as one of the finest examples of High Victorian-Italianate architecture in the midwest.
Open for visitors certain hours daily.



a related marker at a nearby location.


The West Grand Avenue side of the home.

The back side of the mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment