The Citadel

© Photographed August 9, 2014
Waupun, Dodge County, Wisconsin
43.632293,-88.729963

The Carnegie Library (now the Waupun Heritage Museum) is located on southbound South Madison Street, on the northwest corner of its intersection with East Jefferson Street, at 22 South Madison Street, Waupun, Wisconsin 53963.


This sculpture is included in the Waupun Wisconsin Gallery of Outdoor Art.



The Citadel
In 1940, Waupun industrialist Clarence Shaler (1860-1941) presented a powerful art work, which he had made to the University of Southern California as a Gift. He called the sculpture "The Citadel". The lurking, ghoulish figure symbolizes Facism, which was on the rise in Europe. He looks down on Lady Liberty who is weeping. Near her is a broken column that symbolizes the demise of civilized life. The green patina of the statue is a devise used by Shaler to call our attention to this disturbing theme. Shaler valued freedom and liberty and saw these ideas crumbling. Since 1940, The Citadel's message has rung true even to this day. Each generation must defend our freedoms. Through the intervention of Shaler's grandson, Arthur Stuart Hanisch the statue was donated to the City of Waupun in 1994, conserved 2005.










The statue is located on the grounds of Waupun Heritage Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment