Eland Depot, 1908

© Photographed August 26, 2014
Erected by From the Pineries to the Present Heritage Tourism Area
Eland, Shawano County, Wisconsin
 44.871427,-89.214697
ELAND DEPOT, 1908
In 1888, the Milwaukee Lake Shore & Western Railroad established a depot here as "Eland Junction". It became a transportation hub over time, with up to 64 trains passing through daily. The traffic in lumber, iron ore, meat and tourists helped open up the northern and western frontier of Wisconsin to European settlement.

The depot provided food and refreshments in its original octagonal lunchroom until it burned down in 1912. It was rebuilt as the structure you see today, serving passengers and crews until the last train passed through Eland in 1994.
From the Pineries to the Present
Heritage Tourism Area

The marker is located along the Wiouwash State Trail, at the Eland Depot, and is accessible from southbound Mill Street, at its intersection with Elm Street, Eland, Wisconsin 54427.

Photograph:  People mill on the platform as a train from Antigo awaits departure. The depot lacks brick chimneys and the earlier lunchroom extension. 

Photograph: A crowd poses on the Ashland line side of the Eland Depot, with a train behind on the Wausau line.

See also, The Train Yard, directly across the road from this location.





Dexter loved it here!



The depot and marker are located in Eland, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment