Shawano County Heritage Park & Sunset Island

© Photographed July 16, 2014
Erected 2007 by From the Pineries to the Present Heritage Tourism Area
Shawano, Shawano County, Wisconsin

Shawano County
In 1844, Charles D. Wescott, an employee of Samuel Farnsworth, enlarged a beaver dam in Shawano Lake Creek. This earthen dam created the necessary water power to operate a sawmill. Later, John Kast added a planing and flour mill. Kast also built a house adjacent to the mill on shore in 1871. In 1892, the Wolf River Dam was built causing the creek to become flooded and the Kast Dam and Mills to become inoperable. The former dam site was enlarged in the 1950's and became known as Monkey Island (sic) and later, Sunset Island (sic).
From the Pineries to the Present
Heritage Tourism Area
September 2007

The marker is located on northbound North Franklin Street, just north of its intersection with West 1st Street, where North Franklin Street dead-ends at Sunset Island, on the grounds of Shawano County Heritage Park, Shawano, Wisconsin 54166.

This marker is Stop No. 6 on the From the Pineries to the Present Tour No. 1.

See also, First Saw Mill on the Wolf River and Shawano County Heritage Park Museum & Archives / Shawano County Historical Society, also at this location. 

With Mill Pond in the background . . .

The entrance to Sunset Island (marker can be seen on the right).

A veiw of the Shawano River from the bridge crossing over to Sunset Island.

A view of Mill Pond and Sunset Island.

The marker location is just past this sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment