Erected 1960 by Portage County Historical Society
Roshalt, Portage County, Wisconsin
44° 37.913′ N, 89° 18.576′ W
This site marks the beginning of the village of Rosholt. In 1867, Jens Rasmussen, who came from Lolland, Denmark, purchased land and improved a beaver dam here to furnish power for a grist mill. In 1885 the dam was acquired by John Gilbert Rosholt for a sawmill. A community grew around the sawmill. In 1893 a post office called "Rosholt" was established and in 1907 the village was incorporated.
The marker is located in a field on southbound North Main Street, just south of its intersection with West Forest Street, Rosholt, Wisconsin 54473.
Welcome to the Village of Rosholt, WI: Rosholt History
Wikipedia: Rosholt, Wisconsin
See also, Site of Last Rosholt Sawmill, directly across the road from this location.
The mill pond behind the marker.