Port Washington Harbor circa 1856

© Photographed July 13, 2014
Port Washington, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 23.314′ N, 87° 52.084′ W
Google Map

The marker is located at the cul du sac at the end of East Main Street, next to Dockside Deli, 218 East Main Street, Port Washington, Wisconsin 53074.

Port Washington, Wisconsin

Port Washington Maritime Heritage Festival (in August each year)

Port Washington Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center (located at historic The Pebble House)

These are also at this location:



A pall of smoke rises to the northeast as the sidewheeler Niagara  is consumed by flames.


"Frozen Charolette,"
child's porceline toy figuerine,
recovered from the shipwreck
in the early 1970's.
Captain and future beer baron Frederick Pabst lead the rescue of Niagara's passengers from a yawl launched by the nearby steamer Traveler.

The Niagara steams from Buffalo, headed for points West.
c. 1847 from Edwin Whitefield's View of American Cities.
Bull's-eye patterned china, pulled intact from beneath
the wreck's engine bed.

An anchor memorializes the sixty-plus victims of the Niagara sinking
in Port Washington's Union Cemetery.

The marker is underneath the awning, at the far end on the right.

The marker is at a lovely location alongside the Port Washington Harbor.

 The marker is located in Port Washington, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment