Farmers Brewing Company

© Photographed July 16, 2014
Shawano, Shawano County, Wisconsin
44.773062,-88.609439

The building is located on southbound South Main Street / Wisconsin Highway 22, just north of its intersection with East Eliabeth Street, at 713 South Main Street, Shawano 54166.

Farmers Brewing Company opened in 1915. Its products included Farmers Lager, Shawano Pilsener, and Shawano Club Beer. The brewery was forced to close in 1920 due to constitutional prohibition, and did not re-open until 1934. In 1948, the firm contracted to produce beer for Van Dyck Brewing Company of Chicago.The relationship between the breweries soured, litigation ensued, and Farmers Brewing Company closed shortly thereafter. Van Dyck operated in the building from 1948-1950. The building has been vacant since then.

This location is Stop No. 3 (C) on the From the Pineries to the Present: Tour No. 1.





Love ghost ads!

No comments:

Post a Comment