Bear Valley Cemetery and Brown Church

Lone Rock, Richland County, Wisconsin
43° 16.281′ N, 90° 13.577′ W
BEAR VALLEY
CEMETERY AND BROWN CHURCH
This land was purchased from Benjamin Winterburn in three parcels; the first in 1863 for plat 1 of the cemetery.

This was divided into 45 lots which were sold at $5.00 each. Land for the church site was purchased and the church was built in 1875.

Land for plat 2 of the cemetery, east from the church, was purchased in 1881 and sold at $10.00 each.

Further information - read Herkimers, Holsteins and Cheese, by Judith Redline Coopey. Page: 131-135.
The marker, cemetery and church are located on westbound Brown Church Drive, on the northeast corner of its intersection with Wisconsin Highway 130, Lone Rock, Wisconsin 53566.

NOTE: All photos on this post generously provided by Kim Chupp of Cross Plains, Wisconsin.

Republican Observer, July 5, 1956
Upon the monuments and stones appear the names of many of the well known folks who rest beneath the sod. Carswell, Burnham, Smith, Thomas, Hardenberg, Clements, Eaton, Goodrich, Earll, Reynolds, Ellsworth, Winterburn, Beckwith and Davis are just a few. 

The earliest date of a birth is upon the stone of Lucretta Judd, widow of Enoch Judd, who was born March 5, 1797. She died in February, 1867. . . .





NOTE: All photos on this post generously provided by Kim Chupp of Cross Plains, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment