A State Park System is Formed / Peninsula Leads the Way

Photographed July 20, 2014
Erected by Wisconsin Sate Park System
Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek, Door County, Wisconsin
45.162052,-87.201635
Google Map

A New Park System is Formed
Peninsula Leads the Way
"One by one, Assemblyman Tom Reynolds told the Wisconsin Legislature, "all the places of scenic beauty and historical interest are passing away. Before it is too late, it is well to pause and consider whether it is not befitting that some of them be preserved for all time."

Reynolds, a Jacksonport farmer, did not act alone. Landscape Architect John Nolen described the beauty of Peninsula to the Wisconsin Legislature. "It is wild and as yet unspoiled, with alternating interests of woodland and cliff, bay and land . . . It sweeps from point to point, here a beach of find sand, there of gravel, then in contrast precipitous limestone bluffs, rising to a height of a hundred feet or more . . . It is no exaggeration to say that the broad beauty of the scenery is not surpassed in Wisconsin." On June 9, 1909, Governor Davidson signed Reynolds' bill, officially creating a system of state parks. Of the four parks originally proposed for the system, Peninsula was the first to be established.
The view from Eagle Panorama hints of Peninsula's storied past. Cedar, maple and beech trees extend over 3,776 acres. An adjacent, cliff-strewn shore unfolds. But in 1909, much of the forest was cut-over [sic] for farms and orchards. Rustic fishing shanties, with easy access to passing wooden schooners, dotted the coast below.
The marker is located inside Peninsula State Park at Eagle Panorama on the "water side" of Shore Road, about two miles from the Water Street South / Wisconsin Highway 42 entrance (also the entrance to the Peninsula Golf Club) to Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek, Wisconsin 54212.

NOTE: This is a fee area; a Wisconsin State Park System sticker or daily use fee are required.

Wisconsin State Park System: Peninsula State Park

Wisconsin State Park System: Peninsula State Park: History

Friends of Peninsula State Park: For Now and the Future

Wisconsin State Natural Areas Program: Peninsula Park Beech Forest (No. 12)

Peninsula State Park: Summer Use Map (in PDF format)
See also, In Memory of Albert E. Doolittle, also at this location.

Use the "Peninsula State Park" label below to view all markers inside the park; there are several.





The Civilian Conservation Corps, a Depression [sic] era work group, constructed
this overlook from native limestone. In this photo, C-men lower rocks for
the stone wall that borders the road leading up to Eagle Tower. Circa 1935.


A.E. Doolittle, Peninsula State Park
Superintendent, 1913-1943

View of Nicolet Bay in the early years. Ole Larson's farm,
later the site of Wisconsin's first state game farm, is in the
upper left. Welcker's Point is on the horizon.


A Hudson auto is parked
on the right side of Nicolet
Bay Campground. Circa 1942.



The marker is located at Eagle Bluff / Eagle Panorama.


The marker is located inside Peninsula State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment