126 E. Jackson Street

Erected by Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Project 2004
Ripon, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
43.846407,-88.836888

126 E. Jackson Street
The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad had a depot in Ripon along the present day Northwest Trail, near Pacific Street. That building burned down on March 16, 1872 at 9:30 p.m. The fire department could have easily saved the building but the gathering crowd wouldn't allow it! The Ripon citizens were tired of the old depot and wanted a newer, not so rickety, depot.

The City of Ripon built the new Chicago & Northwestern Depot in 1872 near the old site. It was later sold to the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in 1879. The depot was in use from 1879 to 1952. It was abandoned from 1952 to 1986 when it was torn down.
The marker is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Blackburn Street / Wisconsin Highway 23 and East Jackson Street, near 401 Blackburn Street, Ripon, Wisconsin 54971.

Use the "Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Project" label below to view all markers in this series; there are several. 


The marker is in front of the Condon Total Comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment