Namur Historic District

© Photographed May 18, 2014
Designated 1990 by National Park Service
Namur, Door County, Wisconsin
44.734345,-87.666357

NAMUR HISTORIC DISTRICT
has been designated a
NATIONAL
HISTORIC LANDMARK
This site possesses National significance
in commerating the history of the
United States of America
1990
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior

The marker is located at the Namur Belgian Heritage Foundation Center (the former Our Lady of  Snows Church and Cemetery) on westbound County Road DK, between Pit Road (to the east) and County Road N (to the west), Brussels, Wisconsin 54204.

National Historic Landmarks Program: Namur Historic District
Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 14, 1990):
Located in northeastern Wisconsin, this area contains the Nation's largest known concentration of Belgian-influenced farmsteads, other rural buildings, and landscapes features. Namur is a lively ethnic enclave where French is still spoken with a Walloon accent, and where the heritage of the area is evident in food and ethnic festivals. Although Belgian settlement of the area dates to the 1850s, most of the buildings were constructed after the great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.


There are several markers at this location:

The marker is mounted to the right-side pillar.



 Follow the signs to the marker location. 




The marker is located in Namur, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment