The Remains of the Lottie Cooper

Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
43.753019,-87.703704
Google Map

THE REMAINS OF THE LOTTIE COOPER
The Lottie Cooper capsized off Sheboygan during a fierce gale, on April 9, 1894. Much of her original structure was salvaged September 1, 1992 during construction of the Harbor Centre Marina. The 89-foot long center section on display here is believed to be the largest section of a Great Lake schooner on public exhibit.

The Lottie Cooper was built by the Rand and Burger Shipyard, of Manitowoc, Wisconsin in 1876 and was named for the daughter of one of the original owners. The vessel was 131 feet long, 27 feet wide, nine feet in depth of hold, and measured 250 gross tons. She represents an historic period when thousands of commercial wooden sail and steam vessels worked the dangerous waters of the Great Lakes.
The marker is located on northbound Broughton Drive at the entrance to Deland Park, alongside the ruins of the Lottie Cooper, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 53081.


Use the "Deland Park" label below to identify all markers at or near this location (there are several).

The marker is located inside the ship's hull.





The marker and the remains of the Lottie Cooper are at the entrance to Deland Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment