Hauge Log Church - 1852

© Photographed October 18, 2015
Dedicated October 11, 1964
Erected by Dane County Historical Society
Stoughton, Dane County, Wisconsin
42° 55.798′ N, 89° 49.188′ W

HAUGE LOG CHURCH - 1852
Early Norse pioneers who realized a need for a house of worship built the first Norwegian Lutheran Church in western Dane County from logs in the winter of 1851-52. First services held May 27, 1852 by the Rev. A.C. Preus. Previous itinerant pastors included C. Clausen, E Eielson, J.W.C. Dietrichson. Resident pastors from 1854 were P.A. Rasmussen, J.N. Fjeld, P.J. Solberg, and Knudt Hageseth who conducted last services in 1887 when congregation moved into a new church.
The church and marker are located in Hauge Historic Park on southbound County Highway Z, just north of its intersection with County Highway Z / Wisconsin  78 / Spring Creek Road, 1359 County Road Z, Stoughton, Wisconsin 53589.

This is a very special post. The Hauge (pronounced "HOW-ghee") Log Church has provided a priceless photograph of the 1964 marker dedication ceremony and a copy of the program. These kinds of artifacts are quite rare on this website. The Hauge Log Church is a Wisconsin treasure. Be sure to visit and, if you're able, support the ongoing efforts of The Hauge Preservation Association.

An 1852 pioneer Norwegian log church and historical site located near Mount Horeb, Wisconsin


Wisconsin State Journal: Court battle over view from historic Norwegian church could cost small town more than $1 million (February 8, 2012)

This marker is No. 2 in the Dane County Historical Society Markers Series.

The location is included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).


 The east and north (entrance) sides of the church.


 A peek inside . . .

  The east and south sides of the church.

View from the small cemetery also on the property.

Hauge Log Church
Historical Marker Dedication, October 11, 1964
© This photograph generously provided
with permission for use by The Hauge Log Church.

The original marker dedication program can be viewed at
Perry Historical Center, a one-room local history museum
housed within the Perry Lutheran Church, 
1057 Highway 78 South, Daleyville, Wisconsin 53572
Google Map
© This photograph generously provided
with permission for use by The Hauge Log Church.

© This photograph generously provided
with permission for use by The Hauge Log Church.

In Appreciation
We wish to express our appreciation and gratitude to the Dane County Historical Society for the honor given, by placing an Historical Marker at this 1852 Hauge Log Church. The early Norwegian immigrants faced privation and hardship to build their homes and this first Lutheran Church in Western Dane County. Of all the Log homes and building built, this church alone remains intact in this area after 112 years.

For this marker, we and the entire community with to convey our heartfelt thanks for your generosity and recognition.
Sincerely,
Committee in charge of the care and
preservation of church and grounds

Alvin E. Hanson, President
Tolief Brynjulfson
Edward N. Ranum,
Olin Ruste, Sec'y * Treas.
* * * * * * * * * *

1852 Hauge Log Church
October 11, 1964
Dedication Services of the Dane County
Historical Marker

Program, 2 p.m.

1. Welcome, Mr. Alvin Hanson, M.C.

2. Invocation, The Rev. Ruben Mostrom, Pastor, Mr. Horeb Evangelical Lutheran Church

3. Historical Highlights, Mr. Alvin Hanson

4. Unveiling of Historical Marker: Deborah and Wendy Custer.

5. Dedication of Marker: Mrs. Delma Woodburn, President of Dane County Historical Society

6. Remarks, Mr. Darwin E. Bruns, Chairman, Dane County Board

7. Norse American speaks: Mr. Olin Ruste

8. Greetings, The Rev. H. Leonard Anderson, Pastor, Perry Lutheran Church

9. Benediction, The Rev. Ruben Mostrom, Pastor, Mr. Horeb Evangelical Lutheran Church

 Looking southwest from the church.

 Looking west from the top of the knoll,


 The County Road Z entrance to the Hauge Log Church property.

 Looking north along County Road Z, with the church visible to the left.

 Hauge Log Church is located outside Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment