Illinois Central Depot

© Photographed October 16, 2015
Erected 2013 by Dane County Historical Society
and Fitchburg Historical Society
Fitchburg, Dane County, Wisconsin
42.962101,-89.469536

ILLINOIS 
CENTRAL DEPOT
On this site a two-story railroad depot stood from 1888 until 1939. The depot served the Illinois Central Railroad, which provided passenger and freight service to Fitchburg on its route from Freeport, Illinois to Madison. The depot had a ticket office, waiting room, freight room and living quarters for the agent's family.

By 1922, four passenger and four freight trains passed through here daily. A small platform stood nearby for the loading of milk. The last Illinois Central freight train passed through in 1981, but other railroads operated the line until the early 1990s when the track was abandoned and eventually removed. The rail bed is now part of the Badger State Bike Trail.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Fitchburg.

The marker is located on the Badger State Bike Trail, alongside Wendt Road, between County Highway M (to the south) and Adams Road (to the north), Fitchburg, Wisconsin 53575.

The marker was dedicated October 20, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. 



NOTE: A generous thank you!!! to Rich Eggleston for sharing photos of the dedication ceremony (see below).

 Looking south along the Badger State Bike Trail.


Such a beautiful location!

The marker's unveiling
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony.
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony.
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony.
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

Permission to post DCHS Newsletter graciously granted by
Dane County Historical Society

 The marker is located in Fitchburg, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment