Fitchburg

© Photographed October 16, 2015
Erected 2013 by Dane County Historical Society
and Fitchburg Historical Society
Fitchburg, Dane County, Wisconsin
42.962101,-89.469536

FITCHBURG
The settlement of Fitchburg developed along this road after the completion of the Illinois Central rail line from Freeport, Illinois to downtown Madisin in 1887.

Through the early 1900s the growing community consisted of the railroad depot, a general store, post office, blacksmith shop, implement dealership, two implement repair garages, feed mill, lumber mill, lumber and coal yards, stockyards, cheese factory and a railroad milk stop. Along with the businesses were several homes, including the residence of the Illinois Central section master, a small church and a nearby one-room school. A dance hall was located in the basement of the general store where local people gathered for parties.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Illinois Central Railroad.

The marker is located on the Badger State Bike Trail, alongside Wendt Road, between County Highway M (to the south) and Adams Road (to the north), Fitchburg, Wisconsin 53575.

The marker was dedicated October 20, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. 



NOTE: A generous thank you!!! to Rich Eggleston for sharing photos of the dedication ceremony (see below).

A beautiful location!


Looking south along the Badger State Trail.

The marker's unveiling
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission
 
The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

The dedication ceremony
© Rich Eggleston / used with permission

Permission to post DCHS Newsletter graciously granted by

The marker is located in Fitchburg, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment