Marker 75: Belmont - Wisconsin Territory 1836

© Photographed September 27, 2013
Erected 1957 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Belmont, Lafayette County, Wisconsin
42° 46.128′ N, 90° 21.709′ W

BELMONT
WISCONSIN TERRITORY
1836
When Governor Henry Dodge addressed the joint session of the legislature here on October 25, 1836, the Territory of Wisconsin included all of present day Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and parts of the two Dakotas. The population was about equally divided east and west of the Mississippi. There was so much criticism of Governor Dodge's choice of Belmont as the Territorial Capital that he immediately offered to accept any location decided upon by the majority of the representatives. A bitter contest developed with the Dubuque and Burlington (Iowa) delegations finally joining the eastern Wisconsin group to move the capital for one year to Burlington and thence permanently to Madison. The briefly blooming village of Belmont quickly declined. When the railroad bypassed it by two miles to the southeast, many of the residents moved their buildings to the "new" Belmont.
The marker is located at First Capitol State Park, 19101 County Highway G, at its intersection with County Highway B, Belmont, Wisconsin 53510.
Wisconsin Historical Society: Wisconsin Historic Site: First Capitol (First Capitol State Park)

Wikipedia: First Capitol Historic Site
First Capitol Historic Site is a free admission historic museum located outside Belmont, Wisconsin. The museum includes two of the buildings first used by territorial legislators to meet in Wisconsin Territory. Currently owned and operated by the Wisconsin Historical Society, the site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Click here to view all markers at First Capitol State Park.



A beautiful sunrise!

 Wisconsin's first capitol!

 Scenery from marker location. 



 Signage leading to marker location.

The marker is located at First Capitol State Park in Belmont, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment