Marker 529: Downtown Galesville Historic District

Photographed September 5, 2013
Erected 2000 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Galesville, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
44° 4.969′ N, 91° 20.921′ W

DOWNTOWN GALESVILLE
HISTORIC DISTRICT
First platted in 1854, the commercial district surrounding the public square is still the heart of downtown Galesville. Most buildings date from the 1880s to the early 20th century and feature a two-story brick facade, tall narrow windows and elaborate cornice detail. The continuity of scale and design of these structures gives the district its distinctive historic character.

Two of the best-preserved examples, the Clark Block (1886) and the Jensen Building (1902), have round arch Romanesque windows. The octagonal Bandstand (1912) is still the center of many community celebrations. The facade in the middle of Davis Street replaces a building that burned in 2005. The District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The marker is at the bandstand at the Galesville public square, at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 53) and East Gale Avenue, Galesville, Wisconsin 54630.






Some of the historic buildings, near the marker.



No comments:

Post a Comment