Mineral Point, Iowa County, Wisconsin
42° 51.700′ N, 90° 10.482′ W
In the 1830’s, tin miners from Cornwall, England started coming to S. W. Wisconsin to work the newly discovered lead ore deposits. In certain localities they built their stone cottages similar to the ones of their homeland.
Shake Rag, the greatest concentration of these homes, was so named because at meal time the shaking of rags by the womenfolk would call the men from the mines on the opposite hill.
The marker is located on Shakerag Street, near its intersection with Doty Street (State Route 23/39) and Commerce Street (State Route 39), Mineral Point, Wisconsin 53565.