Marker 490: Sparta Free Library

© Photographed November 26, 2017
Erected 2004 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Sparta, Monroe County, Wisconsin
43° 56.671′ N, 90° 48.733′ W
Google Map

SPARTA FREE LIBRARY
Prior to the construction of this building in 1902, the Sparta Free Library had several homes in the community. Schick and Roth, a LaCrosse architectural firm, designed the library building.

Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie provided construction funds. The Carnegie Foundation approved Sparta's application for $10,000 when the city agreed to allocate $1,000 annually to the library. The foundation funded 64 libraries in Wisconsin and 1,679 in the United States.

This property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The Sparta Free Library is located at 124 West Main Street, Sparta, Wisconsin 54656.

Sparta Free Library

Wikipedia: Carnegie Library
A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius, Malaysia and Fiji.
The foregoing text available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

Wikipedia: List of Carnegie libraries in Wisconsin

History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries

There are four Wisconsin Historical Society markers at this location -- the intersection of West Main Street and North / South Court Street in Sparta:





The library and marker are located in Sparta, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment