Mineral Point, Iowa County, Wisconsin
42° 51.538′ N, 90° 10.634′ W
In June, 1832, an alarm spread throughout the mining region that Black Hawk and his band were on the march north from Illinois. Hastily built stockades were erected throughout the lead region. Fort Jackson was built on this site using vertically placed logs arranged in a square that enclosed cabins housing the garrison and their families. Two-story blockhouses fitted with gun ports were installed on the southeast and northwest corners. Fort Jackson served mainly to distribute military supplies during the Black Hawk War and was dismantled shortly thereafter.
The marker is located near the entrance to Story Pottery, 210 Commerce Street, at its intersection with Fountain Street, Mineral Point, Wisconsin 53565.
This marker is included in the "black hawk war" marker series. Use the "black hawk war" label, below, to locate all markers in this series included on the Wisconsin Historical Markers website.
The Black Hawk War of 1832
Wikipedia: Black Hawk War
Education for Liberation: Black Hawk: Chief of the Sauk Nation
This applies to U.S. works where the copyright has expired,
often because its first publication occurred prior to January 1, 1923.
This applies to Australia, the European Union
and those countries with a copyright term of
life of the author plus 70 years.
The marker is to the right of the entrance to Story Pottery.