Marker 38: Old Military Road

© Photographed September 27, 2013
Erected 1955 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Dodgeville, Iowa County, Wisconsin
42° 58.782′ N, 90° 3.592′ W

OLD MILITARY ROAD
You are traveling the route of the Old Military Road, built in 1835-36, to connect Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien and Fort Howard at Green Bay, via Fort Winnebago at "The Portage" between the Fox-Wisconsin rivers. The section from Prairie du Chien to Fort Winnebago was built by soldiers from Fort Crawford, under command of Colonel (later president) Zachary Taylor. The road was crudely constructed two rods in width, with corduroy over the marshy places. Describing his travels over this road in March 1855, Herbert Quick wrote: "Here we went, oxen, cows, mules, horses; coaches, carriages, blue jeans, corduroys, rags, tatters, silks, satin, caps, tall hats, poverty, riches; speculators, missionaries, land-hunters, merchants ···· a nation on wheels, an empire in the commotion and pangs of birth."
The marker is located on westbound County Highway Y, at its intersection with Canyon Park Road, Dodgeville, Wisconsin 53533.

The Wisconsin magazine of history: Volume 9, number 1, September 1925: The Old Military Road

NOTE: Use the "Wisconsin Historic Military Roads" label below to view markers placed along Wisconsin's Old Military Road.


 Signage leading to marker location.


The marker is located in Dodgeville, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment