Fort Hamilton

© Photographed September 27, 2013
South Wayne, Lafayette County, Wisconsin
42° 38.201′ N, 89° 57.163′ W

FORT HAMILTON
Built by Col. Wm. Hamilton, youngest son of the renowned American statesman, Alexander Hamilton. Col. Hamilton was the founder of Hamilton Diggings, now Wiota. He was born in New York, August 4, 1797. He spent 3 years at West Point after which he was appointed surveyor of the staff of Wm. Rector. Coming west to Illinois, he landed at Galena, on July 4, 1827. In 1828, he started lead mining and smelting at Hamilton Diggings. Col. Hamilton was a prominent citizen of this territory and a captain in the Black Hawk War. He went to California in May, 1849 after the gold discovery. He died in Sacramento in 1850.
The marker is located at Zimmerman Cheese, 9724 Wisconsin 78 Trunk, at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 78) and Mineral Street, South Wayne, Wisconsin 53587.

This marker is included in the "black hawk war" marker series. Use the "black hawk war" label, below, to locate all markers in this series included on the Wisconsin Historical Markers website.

Billy Hamilton was born on August 4, 1797 as the sixth child and fifth son of Revolutionary War hero . . .







See also, Wiota Veterans Memorial, also at this location.

Nearby Wiota Milling . . .

The memorial is located in Wiota, Wisconsin.

Wiota is a Little Wisconsin Community.

Little Wisconsin will be available May 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment