Charles H. Dietrich / Dietrich Landing

Photographed June 12, 2015
Cassville, Grant County, Wisconsin
42° 42.806′ N, 90° 59.529′ W
Google Map

Charles H. Dietrich
Caswell, Wisconsin
Charles "Charlie" Dietrich (1920-2009) is recognized as the force behind establishing modern ferry service on the Mississippi River between Casville, Wisconsin and Millville, Iowa which began in the spring of 1988. Charlie worked tirelessly for years to gather federal, state and local support to establish this ferry service. For his efforts, the Cassville ferry was named the "Charlie D" for over 20 years. A former Cassville Village President, Charlie also served as the first Chairman of the Harbor Commission.

In September 2009 Wisconsin State Senator Dale Schultz adjourned the state senate with a proclamation honoring Charlie by concluding: "As you soak in the spectacular beauty of a boat ride of the Mississippi River, soak in as well a sense of how a Wisconsin life so very well lived can benefit countless others for years to come."

The Dietrich Landing will remain as a lasting tribute to this former community leader.
The marker is located in upper Riverside Park on Prime Street, west of its intersection with Wall Street, Cassville, Wisconsin 53806.

These markers / memorial are also at this location:





With the Cassville Ferry and Mississippi River in the background.

 The Cassville Ferry.

No comments:

Post a Comment