Anchor from the "Phil Scheckel"

© Photographed June 23, 2018
Erected 1963 by Mrs. Fred Milliren
Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin
44° 26.545′ N, 92° 9.152′ W

Anchor from the
"PHIL SCHECKEL"
A steamboat which was run
on the Chippewa River for many
years during the last half
of the 19th century.
Captain Scheckel was perhaps
the best known pilot that ever
put his hand to a wheel of a
Chippewa River steamboat.

The marker is located at Laura Ingalls Wilder Park on The Great River Road (State Highway 35), north of its intersection with Washington Street,  Pepin, Wisconsin 54759.

ChippePedia -- Chippewa Valley Museum: Phil Schreckel the Steamboat


Photo of The Phil Scheckel at Read's Landing, 1880

See also, Marker 118: Laura Ingalls Wilder and Pepin Depot Museum, also at this location.




The marker is located in Pepin, Wisconsin.

Pepin is a Little Wisconsin Community.

Little Wisconsin will be available May 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment