The Cadotte Fur Traders Statue and Markers

Photographed July 7, 2013
Dedicated July 14, 1974 by Cadott Lions Club
and the Cadott Chamber of Commerce
Cadott, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
44° 57.215′ N, 91° 8.818′ W
Google Map

The marker is located at Riverside Park on Park Place Road, at its intersection with southbound Wisconsin Highway 27, Cadott, Wisconsin 54727.

See below for plaques on all four sides of the statue, and their transcriptions:
  • The Cadotte Family Tree
  • 1865 Cadott Centennial 1965
  • The Cadotte Fur Traders
  • The Great Northern Pine of Wisconsin

These markers are also at this location:


 The Cadotte Family Tree


1865   CADOTT CENTENNIAL   1965
In 1865, Robert Marriner settled in this vicinity, built a dam and sawmill below the present Main Street bridge and subsequently platted the Village of Cadott. The falls of the river here had been called "Cadotte Falls" for a member of the famed French-Indian fur trading family according to tradition. "Baptiste" Cadotte had a trading post about three-quarters of a mile downstream and upon his death was buried near the falls. This statue memorializing Cadotte is a project of the Cadott community centennial held on July 10 and 11, 1965.
Dedicated July 14, 1974


THE CADOTTE FUR TRADERS
Among the fur traders who attained prominence in the Lake Superior Region were Jean Baptiste Cadotte (Cadeau) and his sons, Jean Baptists, Jr. and Michel. Each married daughters of prominent Ojibway Indians, became influential as merchants, interpreters and mediators; and were considered by the Ojibways as "Chiefs". Michel Cadotte established the permanent trading post at La Pointe on Madeline Island and with his family traded on the Chippewa River and tributaries, as early as 1787, at various places including Chippewa City, Jim Falls and Cadotte Falls on the Yellow River.
This plaque is a gift of the Cadott Lions Club
Dedicated July 14, 1974


THE GREAT NORTHERN PINE OF WISCONSIN
This statue is a conception of the "Cadotte" fur traded. Sculptor Jerry Holter of Clam Lake, Wisconsin was commissioned to carve the figure from a solid section of native northern white pine, symbolic of the great lumbering industry of which the founder of Cadott Village, Robert Marriner, was a part. In its history the Village had a succession of wood industries including sawmills, an oak tannery, a barrel heading mill, shingle mill, a cheese box factory and a hub and spoke factory which employeed many men. The cutting of the great pines was followed by the present agricultural era.
This plaque is a gift of
The Cadott Chamber of Commerce / Dedicated July 14, 1974


 Nearby signs

The marker is located in Cadott, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment