Marker 76: Dams on the Mississippi

© Photographed July 24, 2013
Erected 1958 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Geona, Vernon County, Wisconsin
43° 34.033′ N, 91° 13.733′ W
Google Map

DAMS ON THE MISSISSIPPI
Lock and Dam No. 8 at Genoa, 679.2 miles above the mouth of the Ohio River, is set on a foundation of sand, gravel and broken rock. It has a 110 foot wide chamber and an 11 foot lift from the lower to the upper pool. Construction of the dam cost $6,702,500 and affected 18,591 acres of land. In May 1937 the battery of fifteen gates closed and the Genoa Dam opened for navigation. This dam is one of 26 locks and dams built by the United States Government to improve transportation from Minneapolis to the mouth of the Missouri River. The project, approved by Congressional Act on August 30, 1935, was largely completed by 1938. In the next fifteen years river traffic increased from 458 to 2,636 million tons.
The marker is located at a highway pulloff on northbound Great River Road (State Highway 35), south of its intersection with Main Street (State Highway 56), Genoa, Wisconsin 54632.

See also, Marker 223: La Crosse Boiling Water Reactor, also at this location.

There's probably never a good time of day to photograph these markers because of the position they are in. They should be up against the hillside, facing the Mississippi River; this would make viewing and photography much easier . . .

This marker is included in Wisconsin's Maritime Trails: Historical Markers series.

is also at this location.

 Signage leading to marker location.


No comments:

Post a Comment