Thorp, Clark County, Wisconsin
44° 57.671′ N, 90° 45.637′ WNOTE: This is a two-sided marker: see also, Marker 537: Poznan Colony.
In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation furnished labor and contributed artistic talent. Some families took out second mortgages on their farms to help pay for the cost of the new building.
The marker is located at St. Hedwig's Church, N14921 Gorman Avenue, north of its intersection with County Highway X, Thorp, Wisconsin 54771.
See also, St. Hedwig's Bells, also at this location.
Nearby train tracks