Marker 10: Villa Louis

Photographed late November / early December 1989
by Elwyn Davies of Soham, UK (England)
Used with gracious permission of the photographer.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.056014,-91.15748
Google Map

VILLA LOUIS
On the site of old Fort Crawford, Col. Hercules Louis Dousman, important agent in John J. Astor's fur company, built his "house on the mound" in 1843. Later it was named Villa Louis. Today this luxurious mansion appears much as it did in the days when it was a brilliant center of social activity, even while the pioneer lived side by side with the Indians.
NOTE: The marker is no longer available for viewing. See below:


The marker is no longer available for viewing and is in storage in the grounds-keeper's lunch room. Not sure why it was taken down, only that it was.

The Villa Louis marker was located at Villa Louis Wisconsin Historic Site at 521 North Villa Louis Road, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.

Villa Louis, a Wisconsin Historic Site

Villa Louis: History of Villa Louis



 Villa Louis is resting comfortably inside the old bath house /
current groundskeepers building.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
Villa Louis - Prairie Du Chien, Wis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment