Fort Crawford Museum: Fort "Guard Room" Window

 Photographed July 23, 2013
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.042987, -91.146526
Google Map
This window was once part of the second Fort Crawford located 100 yards north of this spot. The fort was finished in 1832 and was is used by the U.S. Army until 1858.

This was the fort "guard room" window, originally located mid-way in the west like (enlisted quarters) or barracks. Among the prisoners confined behind these bars were the famous Sac chiefs Blackhawk and The Prophet, who were delivered here for surrender to post commandant Col. Zachary Taylor on August 27, 1832. By the Winnebago chiefs one-eyed Decori and Chetar, plus lesser chiefs and the few remaining Sac and Fox braves who survived the so-called "Blackhawk War".

Note the hammered copper lettering in the window cap-stone. The artisan and date of this work are not known. 
The marker is located at Fort Crawford Museum, 717 S Beaumont Road, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.

There are many interesting markers at Fort Crawford Museum, including two Wisconsin Historical Society "official" markers. Click here to view a list of all markers at this location.

There are many posts on this website regarding Black Hawk and the Black Hawk War. Use the "black hawk war" label below to locate them all.

The marker is on the short stone, front center in the above photo . . .

. . . and to the left of the "window" in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment