Marker 50: Namekagon - Court Oreilles Portage

Erected 1956 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Hawyard, Sawyer County, Wisconsin
45° 56.072′ N, 91° 29.551′ W
Google Map

NAMEKAGON -
COURT OREILLES PORTAGE
Still visible here is the southeast terminus of the 2½ mile portage that linked the St. Croix and Chippewa River systems. Indians, explorers, missionaries and fur-traders all used this "carrying place" to move their birch bark canoes back and forth between the two great water routes connecting Lake Superior and the Mississippi. In 1784 Michel Cadotte established a fur-trading post at the northwest end of the portage to control the trade at this pivotal point. From such interior locations as Lac Court Oreilles the Chippewa Indians carried over here on their trips to the south and west to gather rice and berries and on their war excursions against the Sioux.
The marker is located at pull-off on southbound State Highway 27, north of its intersection with North Portage Terrace, Hayward, Wisconsin 54843.



No comments:

Post a Comment