Marker 15: Old Stockade Site

© Photographed September 11 and 12, 2016
Erected 1954 by City of Superior Citizens
Superior, Douglas County, Wisconsin
46° 42.703′ N, 92° 3.197′ W
Google Map

OLD STOCKADE SITE
The Sioux uprising in Minnesota during the Summer of 1862, culminating in the New Ulm Massacre, caused great alarm in Superior. A Committee of Safety was chosen, a Home Guard organized, and a stockade built on the bay shore here. An inventory of all firearms in Superior revealed a total of 60 shotguns, rifles and pistols. The state sent 192 muskets and 2 cannon. To assist the Home Guard, the Governor sent a company of Wisconsin soldiers that had been captured by the Confederates at Shiloh and paroled. This Company was called back for Civil War duty in the Summer of 1863 and was replaced by other Wisconsin paroled soldiers. The Chippewas residing in this vicinity remained friendly to the whites. By August 1863, the Sioux in Minnesota had been overcome and most of the soldiers left Superior. Eventually the stockade was abandoned.
The marker is located at a highway turnout on westbound East 2nd Street / U.S. 2 / U.S. 53, between 18th Avenue East / Mall Drive (to the east) and 14th Avenue East (to the west), Superior, Wisconsin 54880.

1969 postcard of replica of stockade

These are also at this location:


 With the Superior Bay marina visible to the right.



 The marker is visible in the distance, behind the blue gazebo.

The marker is located adjacent to the Osaugie Trail
in Superior, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment