Marker 532: The Blake House

Erected 2010 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
42° 43.316′ N, 87° 46.962′ W
Google Map

THE BLAKE HOUSE
Italian Villa in style, this cream brick house was built in 1868 for George and Roxilana Bull. Lucius and Caroline Blake purchased the house in 1873 and it remained in the family until 1926.

Most remarkable is the centrally located Tuscan tower. Other Italianate features include round arched windows accented with corbelled brick hoods, paired wooden brackets, and side bays. Interior features include marble fireplaces, ornamental plaster rosettes and crown moldings, parquet flooring, pocket doors and shutters, and decorative woodwork.

The house was scheduled for demolition in 1976, but a coalition of cultural groups was formed to save it. In 2005 Preservation Racine, Inc. purchased the building. The house is a Racine Landmark and also a key building in Racine’s National Register of Historic Places Southside Historic District.
(Continued on other side)

NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Lucius S. Blake.

The marker is located on the Blake House grounds on southbound South Main Street, south of its intersection with 9th Street, at 936 South Main Street, Racine, Wisconsin 53403.




No comments:

Post a Comment