Erected 1998 by Wisconsin State Historical Society
Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin
42° 44.88′ N, 87° 47.079′ W
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Cream Brick.Racine’s rapid and diversified industrial growth after the Civil War attracted a large working population to the city. Desiring their own homes, many workers built modest cottages of similar design in wood or brick. A high concentration of the brick cottages can be found in the Northside Historic District of Cream Brick Workers’ Cottages. Bounded by Goold, English, Chatham and Erie streets, these cottages, built between 1881 and 1913, often exhibit Italianate, Queen Anne or Colonial Revival stylistic embellishments.
The marker is located at the entrance to the Racine Zoo on northbound North Main Street, north of its intersection with Goold Street, at 2131 North Main Street, Racine, Wisconsin 53402.
The marker can be seen to the left of the entrance.