Marker 292: Langlade County Forest

Photographed May 31, 2013
Erected 1990 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Deerbrook, Langlade County, Wisconsin
45° 19.724′ N, 89° 6.281′ W
Google Map

LANGLADE COUNTY FOREST
WISCONSIN'S FIRST COUNTY FOREST
By the 1920s, the once vast forests of Wisconsin had been reduced from more than 30 million acres to about 2 million through farm clearing and lumbering practices that left large cut-over areas. In 1927 the Wisconsin legislature passed the County Forest Reserve Law, which permitted counties to acquire lands because of tax delinquency or other reasons for the purpose of establishing county forest reserves.

On November 6, 1928, the voters of Langlade County passed a referendum to establish the first county forest in Wisconsin, leading the way for a permanent program of county forest management. The Langlade County Forest now totals over 125,000 acres. An additional 27 county forests statewide totaling nearly 2.3 million acres have helped once threatened forests develop into highly productive lands. These county forestry programs provide a stable basis for the state's forest products and recreation industries and serve to enhance water quality, improve wildlife envi­ronment, and ensure public enjoyment of a vital Wisconsin resource. 
The marker is located in Veterans Memorial Park on Park Road / County J, south of its intersection with Pence Lake Road and three miles east of U.S. 45 / State Route 47 / County J, Pearson, Wisconsin 54462.


The marker is near the entrance to the park --
to the far right corner of this photo

The marker is inside Veterans Memorial Park

No comments:

Post a Comment