Marker 550: Wyona Park

© Photographed April 24, 2013 and December 3, 2017
Erected 2000 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Wyocena, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43° 29.929′ N, 89° 17.561′ W
Google Map

WYONA PARK
This site has traditionally been a popular picnic area for Wyocena residents. As early as 1905, approximately 1,000 people attended an insurance company picnic at this location. In 1948, Gordon Spear, a lifetime Wyocena resident, sold the grounds to Columbia County and requested that the area be named a county park. In 1971, his dream was realized when the park was completed, dedicated and named Wyona Park. The Spear-Allen Shelter House honors pioneer families instrumental in the creation of this park.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Marker 550: Rifle Pit Legend.

This Wisconsin Historical Society "official marker" does not appear on the list of markers. WHS has been contacted.

UPDATE:  This marker was added as Marker 550 to the 9/16/2013 update of the Official List of Wisconsin's State Historical Markers.


NOTE: This is a two-sided marker.
See also, Marker 550: Rifle Pit Legend.


 The marker (visible to the left) is next to a picnic shelter.

 The road leading into the park.

 Looking west along Wyocena Lake.

 The entrance to the park -- just follow the sign!

The marker is located in Wyocena, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment