Marker 468: Major Elbert Dickason

© Photographed October 9, 2014 and December 3, 2017
Erected 2000 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Wyocena, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43° 29.829′ N, 89° 18.502′ W
Google Map

MAJOR
ELBERT
DICKASON
Major Elbert Dickason founder of Wyocena, was born in Virginia in 1799. He moved to Illinois where he joined their militia during the Black Hawk War. Representing a Milwaukee land investor, he founded Columbus in 1839. When his ventures failed in 1843, he moved with his wife Obedience and family to Wyocena. He purchased land for $1.25 per acre, built a cabin, and surveyed, platted, and named the future settlement.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker; see also, Marker 468: Dickason's "Hotel".

The marker is located at a small park / boat landing on the north shore of Duck Creek, and is accessible from eastbound Lovers Lane, east of its intersection with South Washington Street, at or near 150 Lovers Lane, Wyocena, Wisconsin 53969.

Looking west towards South Washington Street.

With the Duck Creek Bridge and Grande Cheese Co.
in the background.

 The marker is at a lovely location alongside Duck River.

 There is plenty of parking!

The marker is located in Wyocena, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment