Marker 468: Dickason's Hotel

© Photographed October 9, 2014 and December 3, 2017
Erected 2000 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Wyocena, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43° 29.829′ N, 89° 18.502′ W
Google Map

DICKASON'S
"HOTEL"
Major Elbert Dickason's log cabin became a refuge for many land buyers who flocked to this area in the 1840s. In 1846, Dickason began construction of a two-story frame hotel to accommodate the buyers. Unfortunately, Dickason died in 1848, before the hotel was completed and his relatives finished the structure. Eventually, the hotel was sold to Columbia County as the county's first home for the mentally impaired and the poor. The building served in this capacity for over 100 years.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker; see also, Marker 468: Major Elbert Dickason.

The marker is located at a small park / boat landing on the north shore of Duck Creek, and is accessible from eastbound Lovers Lane, east of its intersection with South Washington Street, at or near 150 Lovers Lane, Wyocena, Wisconsin 53969.




The two-sided marker is at a lovely location next to Duck River.

The marker is located in Wyocena, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment