Marker 459: Site of Former Greenbush Cemetery Burials

Photographed April 25, 2013
Erected 2000 by Historic Madison
and the Wisconsin Historical Society
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 3.917′ N, 89° 26.022′ W
Google Map

SITE OF FORMER
GREENBUSH
CEMETERY
BURIALS
Nineteenth century cemeteries were sometimes relocated as a community expanded. In 1845, land was purchased for a cemetery in the Greenbush neighborhood of Madison where St. Marys Hospital is located today. The cemetery became overcrowded with Madison's German and Irish settlers, so in 1862 Catholics purchased land for Calvary -- now Resurrection -- cemetery. Early in the twentieth century the bodies were removed to this site where they lie in unmarked graves.
The marker is located in Resurrection Cemetery on westbound Speedway Road, east of its intersection with Hillcrest Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53705.

Isthmus, March 21, 2008: Remembering the Greenbush
"The neighborhood that Madison destroyed lives on -- in people's hearts and minds"

They Called It "Home": A Brief History of Greenbush

See also these markers regarding the Greenbush immigrants / neighborhood:
  • The Greenbush 1891-1960
  • Greenbush (need to visit)
  • Italian Workmen's Club (need to visit)
  • Longfellow School (need to visit)
  • Spirit of Greenbush (need to visit)


Marker can be seen in the distance,
to the left, between the trees

No comments:

Post a Comment