Erected 1996 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Cooksville, Rock County, Wisconsin
42° 50.103′ N, 89° 14.177′ W
The Village of Waucoma was established in 1846 by Dr. John Porter, who purchased land next to Cooksville from his Massachusetts friend, Senator Daniel Webster. Waucoma was laid out around a public square. Soon Greek Revival and Gothic Revival style houses, some of locally fired brick, were built by Yankee settlers, along with blacksmith shops, general stores, a hotel, a door and sash factory, a schoolhouse, and two churches. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, Cooksville is known as "a wee bit of New England in Wisconsin."
The marker is located on northbound North Church Street, at its intersection with State Highway 59, at 11204 North Church Street, Evansville, Wisconsin 53526.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker. See also, Marker 342: Village of Cooksville.
Town of Porter, Wisconsin: History of Cooksville