Marker 123: Forest Restoration

© Photographed March 30, 2013
Erected 1963 by Wisconsin Conservation Department
Boulder Junction, Vilas County, Wisconsin
46° 2.85′ N, 89° 39.264′ W

FOREST RESTORATION
The Beginning
This place on Trout Lake was selected by E. M. Griffith, Wisconsin's first State Forester, as the headquarters for the program in forest restoration of the State Board of Forestry.

Early in 1911, a civil service examination was given and the first forest rangers were appointed. Their primary duties were to initiate a tree planting program to protect forest lands from fire. Both of these activities have now spread over the entire state.

It was on this site that the first seed beds (pine of local origin) were sown. Although some preparatory work had been done in 1910, the ground was actually broken in 1911. The first planting stock was lifted in 1913.

Any measure of success which has been or will ever be attained in the restoration of the forest resources in this state had its tangible beginning here. 
The marker is located at the Trout Lake Forestry Headquarters, inside Northern Highland American Legion State Forest,  4125 Forest Headquarters Road, Boulder Junction, Wisconsin 54512.


Source:
Wisconsin. State Board of Forestry
First annual report of the state forester of Wisconsin. 1906
Democrat Printing Company, State Printer, 1906
1 v. (67 p.) : ill. ; 23 cm.


The marker is located at the Trout Lake Forestry Headquarters.


No comments:

Post a Comment