WRL-85: Stevens Point -- Gateway to the Pineries

© Photographed July 23, 2014
Erected 1972 by Portage County Historical Society
Stevens Point, Portage County, Wisconsin
44° 31.41′ N, 89° 35.298′ W

STEVENS POINT --
GATEWAY TO THE PINERIES
This plaque commemorates the pioneers who established Stevens Point during the 1840’s, 50’s and 60’s. Community life centered here at the foot of Main Street where supplies were transshipped from wagon to boat for the trip north to lumber camps. Piers and booms held logs for local sawmills, and lumber rafts were outfitted for the trip down the Wisconsin. Stagecoaches stopped at nearby inns and freight wagons unloaded wares at the village stores. Here sawmill whine and scent of fresh cut pine were ever present, for lumber was the life-blood of this pioneer town.
The marker is located in Pfiffner Pioneer Park near the Crosby Avenue entrance to the Riverfront Arts Center on southbound Crosby Avenue, west of its intersection with Water Street / Highway 66, Stevens Point, Wisconsin 54481.

See also, The Landing Place of the Pioneer George A. Stevens, also at this location. 

This marker and location are included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).




 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
The marker is located in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment