WRL-28: Wakeley's Tavern Marker and Tavern

Wakeley's Tavern
Nekoosa, Wood County, Wisconsin
44° 17.997′ N, 89° 53.424′ W

The restored tavern remains, but the marker erected 1971 by the South Wood County Historical Corporation, and identified as Wisconsin Registered Lankmark No. 28, is missing. The marker had this language on it:

 WAKELY'S TAVERN
POINTE BASSE
Built in 1831, Wakely’s Tavern and Trading Post was the first white settler’s house in present Wood County. River piers, shingle mill, warehouse, and gunpowder pit contributed to making this site a rendezvous for Indians, voyageurs, lumbermen and raftsmen, as well as a social center for area pioneers.

In 1844 the steamboats “Maid of Iowa” and “Enterprise” operated on the river carrying passengers and cargo between Prairie du Chien and Pointe Basse, the site of Wakely’s Tavern.

Until 1916, a cable ferry operated from this point to the west bank of the river. In 1963, the remaining wing of the tavern was restored and is now known as “Old Ferry Farm.”
The entrance to Historic Point Basse (see sign below) is located the intersection of Wakeley Road and County Highway Z, 6/10ths of a mile south of Highway 73, near 10523 County Highway Z, Nekoosa, Wisconsin 54457.

The Wisconsin Registered Landmark sign has been replaced by this Point Basse sign.

This location is included in the Wisconsin Registered Landmarks program (1964-1973).

There is a lot to see and do at Historic Point Basse.

The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1974. The stone arch bridge was added to the Register in 2001.


The back side of the tavern.
 Built by Robert Wakely around 1842, 
this house is one of the oldest frame structures in Central Wisconsin.
The entire house has been restored to original condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment