44° 5.723′ N, 87° 41.695′ W
COUNTY HOSPITAL CEMETERY
This publicly-owned cemetery contains the burials of 162 patients from the Manitowoc County Asylum for the Insane and the Manitowoc County Hospital who died between the years 1917 and 1974. The names of all, but two, are known.
The Manitowoc County Insane Asylum was established in 1884 by the Manitowoc County Board of Supervisors on 57 acres of farmland located on the southwest side of the city of Manitowoc (betwen Hamilton and Division & 21st and 26th Streets). It later expanded to over 250 acres with a hospital, barns, outbuildings, fields, gardens and livestock. Gustav Mueller of Reedsville served as the first superintendent; his wife Anna was matron. In 1949 a new facility known as the Manitowoc County Hospital was built on Calumet Avenue in Manitoweoc. The name was changed to the Manitowoc Health Care Center in 1973.
The Manitowoc County Cemetery grounds were improved and headstones restored by a Beautification Committee of local concerned citizens in 1995. The large granite Memorial Marker was dedicated on May 20, 1996.
The marker is located on eastbound Meadow Lane, just west of its intersection with Broadway Street, near 3854 Meadow Lane, Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54220.
See also, Potter's Field Cemetery, also at this location.
The marker is located at the Manitowoc County Cemetery.