Packer Heritage Trail Marker 3: Birthplace of the Packers

Erected 2012 by Packers Heritage Trail Foundation
Sponsored by Associated Bank
"The First Bank of the Packers"
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.879′ N, 88° 0.806′ W

BIRTHPLACE OF THE PACKERS
The Green Bay Packers were organized on Aug. 11, 1919, in the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building that stood here at 315 Cherry Street. The meeting took place in the editorial department on the second floor.

Two days later, the paper briefly mentioned the meeting in a story headlined: "Indian Packing Plant Squad To Represent City." It was noted that the packing company would supply uniforms, and the team would play its games at Hagemeister Park. On Aug. 14, a second meeting was held here and Curly Lambeau was elected captain. The next days Press-Gazette referred to the team as the "Packers" for the first time.

Lambeau and George Whitney Calhoun called the initial meeting. Lambeau, a former football star at Green Bay East High School, was 21 years old and working at the packing plant. Calhoun was 28 and a member of the paper's editorial staff.

The building in which the Packers were organized opened in 1871 as Crikelair's Opera House. When it was razed in 1948, it was owned by the YWCA and last occupied by Jones Signs. Along with being home to at least three different newspapers over its lifetime, it also served as a cigar factory, an ice cream parlor, a laundry and a flophouse.

The Press-Gazette was founded June 29, 1915.
The marker is located near the Cherry Street entrance to Associated Bank, between North Adams and South Jefferson Streets, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

See also, Brown County: Packers Heritage Trail and Packers Heritage Trail Map, for a complete list of markers and their locations.


No comments:

Post a Comment