Packer Heritage Trail Marker 14: Hagemeister Park

Erected 2012 by Packers Heritage Trail Foundation
In memory of George and Marguerite Kress
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
44° 30.439′ N, 87° 59.673′ W

HAGEMEISTER PARK
Hagemeister Park was the home of the Packers from 1919, their inaugural season as a semipro team, through 1922, their second year in the NFL.

Before East High School and City Stadium were built, Hagemeister Park included the tract of land from Baird Street east and Walnut Street north to the East River.

In 1919 the Packers played on a sandlot with no fence or seating. In 1920 they enclosed he field with a wooden fence so they could charge admission. But after the season ended, the ballpark was torn down.

It was rebuilt in the spring of 1921 for the local baseball team. When the Packers were admitted in late August of that year to what is now the NFL, its seating capacity was enlarged to about 3,500.

The Packers played their first league game at Hagemeister on Oct. 23, 1921, beating the Minnesota Marines, 7-6, before a packed house.

Construction began on East High in 1923 roughly where the football field had been located.

Their were several buildings in Hagemeister Park. One was the clubhouse, a social center located at the corner of Baird and Walnut streets. Another was the Armory, which the Packers used as a locker room and indoor practice facility. The Armory was destroyed by fire Christmas morning, 1926.
The marker is located on North Baird Street, between East Walnut and Cherry Streets, at the North Baird Street entrance to East High School, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301.

See also, Brown County: Packers Heritage Trail and Packers Heritage Trail Map, for a complete list of markers and their locations.

 
Marker is on the North Baird Street side of East High School.

Facing this corner of East High School
(at the intersection of East Walnut and North Baird Streets )
the marker is to the left (outside of the range of this photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment