Fort Howard Stockade

 © Photographed August 16, 2013
Erected 1909 by Green Bay Historical Society
Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
 44° 31.122′ N, 88° 1.033′ W
853 degrees north 45 degrees, 7 minutes east, from this tablet, stands a flag pole, marking the southeast corner of the stockade of Fort Howard; occupied by United States troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also stood the French fort, St. Francis, built prior to 1718, and rebuilt by the British in 1761, as Fort Edward Augustus.
The marker is located on westbound Dousman Street, at the entrance to Leicht Memorial Park, which is next to Titletown Brewing Company located at 200 Dousman Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54303.

See also, Zachary Taylor Statue and Marker, also at this location.

in the background.



Fort Howard Memorial Tablet
Photograph by Effie M. Howlett, Oshkosh
Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin at its
Fifty-Seventh Annual Meeting (plate between pages 108 and 109),
Held October 21, 1909

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Postmarked July 22, 1911
N.W. Station and Historical Tablet, Green Bay, Wis.
The Fort Howard Stockage marker is visible to the right.

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
C. & N. W. R.R. Depot, Green Bay, Wis.
The plaque on the boulder in the center is Fort Howard Stockade, erected 1909


Report of Green Bay Historical Society
Green Bay, November 7, 1908
Arthur C. Neville, President
A meeting of the [Green Bay Historical] Society was held on October 21, 1908, in the assembly room of the Kellog Public Library, at which time a resolution was adopted, . . . providing for the appointment of a committee of three to arrange for the erection of a tablet to mark the site of old Fort Howard, the English Fort Edward Augustus, and the French post of La Baye. All of which, in the inverse order in which they are here named, successively occupied the same site continuously from about 1718. The committee are to confer with the officials of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company, the tracks of which now cover the site of the old forts, and obtain if possible their consent and co-operation in procuring and placing a suitable tablet on the site. The president [Arthur C. Neville] appointed as such committee, Mr. James J. Elmore, Miss Sarah G. Martin, and Mrs. William Luckenbach.
Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin at its Fifty-Sixth Annual Meeting (pages 121-122), Held October 15, 1908

Report of Green Bay Historical Society
Green Bay, November 16, 1909
Arthur C. Neville, President
During the past year the Green Bay Historical Society has seen the fulfillment of three projects which it has long striven to accomplish: 1st, The erection of a tablet and flag-pole marking the site of old Fort Howard -- the site also of the early French and English posts . . . 
At a meeting of the Society held on October 21, 1908, in the assembly room of the Kellogg Public Library . . . a committee of three, headed by Hon. James H. Elmore as chairman, [was appointed] to arrange with the officials of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company for the erection of a suitable tablet on their depot grounds, to mark the site of old Fort Howard. Mr. Elmore diligently corresponded and personally conferred with the Northwestern officials, and at the several meetings of this committee, held during the winter, reported progress.
In June, a formal meeting of the Society was held, and at that time it was decided to join with the State Historical Society in celebrating the discovery of Wisconsin by Jean Nicolet in 1634, this being the 275th anniversary of that event. Mr. Elmore also reported that President Hughitt and other officials of the Northwestern road were ready to place a large boulder, with bronze tablet affixed, to mark the site of Fort Howard; that he had had a personal interview with them in Chicago, and found them very much interested in the matter, and quite enthusiastic. They were, however, not in favor of placing the tablet at the southeastern corner of the stockade, where the Society had wished to have it located, for the reason that it would then be in the midst of a network of tracks; that it would involve considerable danger to whose who wished to examine the tablet, and might be the occasion of many vexatious lawsuits. 
It was therefore proposed that the monument be placed at the south end of their park, at the terminus of Main street bridge; that a flag pole be erected on what was formerly the southeast corner of the stockade, and that the company agree to furnish a flag for it and keep it flying in all suitable weather. While paying the entire cost of the bronze tablet and boulder, the Northwestern officials insisted that the monument should be given in the name of the Green Bay Historical Society, and that no mention should be made on the tablet of the company's generosity. They stipulated, however, that the flag-pole should be provided and erected by the Society.
. . . 
A large number of the officials of the Northwestern road came by special train to attend the unveiling of the Fort Howard tablet and the hoisting of the flag on the pole at the corner of the southeast bastion. Their presence gave especial dignity to the exercises held. On account of a sudden shower, the ceremonies, except the actual unveiling of the tablet, were held in the large waiting room of the depot, which was crowded to its utmost capacity. The addresses of General Manager Aishton and General Counsel E. M. Hyzer were listened to with deep attention. We wish here to record our great sense of obligation to the officials of the Northwestern road, not only for their liberality, but for the unfailing courtesy shown by them to us in all our negotiations relating to this memorial tablet.
Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin at its Fifty-Seventh Annual Meeting (pages 107-110), Held October 21, 1909

No comments:

Post a Comment