Marker 318: Camp Harvey

Erected 1992 by Wisconsin Historical Society
West Allis, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 1.151′ N, 88° 0.847′ W

CAMP HARVEY
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in April of 1898, President William McKinley called on the states to gather their military forces. State officials ordered the Wisconsin National Guard to report for duty at Camp Harvey, named for Wisconsin Civil War Governor Louis P. Harvey and located on the grounds of the Wisconsin State Fair Park.

The Wisconsin National Guard had been established in 1879 to improve the existing militia system. The war with Spain (1898-1899) demonstrated for the first time the value of the National Guard as a reserve compo­nent of the Army. In a time of crisis, the Guard units from Wisconsin and the other states could rapidly augment the small active-duty forces.

Wisconsin contributed 5,469 men divided into four infantry regiments for service in the Spanish-American War. The First and Fourth Wisconsin Infantry regiments never left the United States. The Second and Third Wisconsin Infantry regiments participated in military opera­tions in Puerto Rico, where they lost two men killed in action. A total of 132 Wisconsinites died from disease, principally typhoid fever.
The marker can be reached from westbound West Greenfield Avenue / State Highway 59, north of its intersection with South 81st Street, in the Wisconsin State Fair Park (near Gate 2), at the right side of the main entrance to the Wisconsin Exposition Center, at 8200 West Greenfield Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53214.

These markers are also at this location:


No comments:

Post a Comment