Marker 275: Bay View's Rolling Mill

Erected 1985 by Wisconsin State Historical Society
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
 42° 59.967′ N, 87° 53.38′ W
Google Map

BAY VIEW'S ROLLING MILL
Near this site in Bay View stood the Milwaukee Iron Company rolling mill, the first major heavy industry in the region and an important producer of iron and steel for the Midwest. The mill, which opened in 1868, transformed ore from Dodge County and Lake Superior area mines into iron products including thousands of tons of rail for the region’s growing railroads. 

By 1885, more than 1500 people were employed at the plant, some recruited from the iron-producing districts of the British Isles, and the village of Bay View grew from a rural crossroads to an industrial community surrounding the rolling mill.

On May 5, 1886, the mill was the scene of a major labor disturbance. Nearly 1500 strikers from around Milwaukee marched on the Bay View mill to dramatize their demand for an eight-hour work day. The local militia, called to the scene by Governor Jeremiah Rusk, fired on the crowd, killing seven people.

The mill closed in 1929, and the buildings were demolished a decade later. But the community of Bay View remains: a neighborhood of mill workers houses, shops and churches.
The marker is located on northbound South Superior Street, on the northeast corner of its intersection with East Russell Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53207.

Wisconsin Labor History: Bay View Tragedy

Wisconsin Historical Society: The Bay View Tragedy of 1886

Wikipedia: Bay View Massacre


Photo taken in the fog and the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment