Delafield, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43° 3.902′ N, 88° 24.332′ W
St. John’s, the oldest Military Academy in Wisconsin, was founded as a boy’s prep school in 1844 when Sidney T. Smythe, a student at Nashotah House, reopened an abandoned Delafield schoolhouse for St. John’s first students. Dr. Smythe graduated from Nashotah in 1886 and devoted the rest of his life to building the Academy.
The main campus buildings were built to complement each other in design and appearance. Of English Gothic design with serrated roofs, towers and battlements of stone, they resemble old-time European castles.
St. John’s is an influential educational force in the Midwest drawing its students from many states and foreign countries. The philosophy of the military type of education was adopted to emphasize quality, instill self-discipline, and provide team spirit and leadership qualities.
This philosophy, combined with St. John’s original religious intentions, represents a distinctive side of the American Spirit.
The marker is located on the campus of Delafield Military Academy. The marker is located on eastbound Stephens Road, on the southeast corner of its intersection with Farrand Street, one block west of Genesee Street / County Route C, Delafield, Wisconsin 53018.
"A dream is never enough by itself. But it can be a very practical thing. Without it, there can never be the creation of something new."
Reverend Sidney T. Smythe
Founding Father of St. John's Military Academy
See also, Marker 160: Nasotah Mission, a related marker at a nearby location.
See also, Marker 497: Northwestern Military and Naval Academy, also at this location.
With the entrance to the Academy in the background . . .
The arched entrance to the Academy.
Plaques on either side of the arch.
The marker is located at St. John's Northwestern Military Academy.
The marker is located in Delafield, Wisconsin.