Marker 221: General Mitchell Field

Erected 1976 by Eastern Air Lines and
Milwaukee County Historical Society
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
42° 57.509′ N, 87° 53.721′ W

GENERAL MITCHELL FIELD
On October 29, 1926, Milwaukee County purchased the flying field which Thomas Hamilton had established in 1920 on East Layton Avenue in connection with his propeller business. Northwest Airways inaugurated scheduled passenger service here on July 5, 1927, and that year Hamilton began production of an all metal passenger transport plane adopted by many early airlines.

Kohler Aviation Corporation provided the missing link in Milwaukee’s air network by initiating passenger service across Lake Michigan to Grand Rapids and Detroit on August 31, 1929. Such famous pioneer fliers as Charles A. Lindbergh, Lester Maitland, the Bremen fliers, Wiley Post, and Eddie Rickenbacker visited this field.

On March 17, 1941, this airport was renamed in honor of General William Mitchell (1879-1936), Milwaukee’s famous air power advocate who had also proposed a strong civil aviation as part of the nation’s defense.
The marker is located at Mitchell Airport Park on westbound East Layton Avenue, between South Burst Avenue (to the east) and South Logan Avenue (to the west), Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53207.

Mitchell Gallery of Flight: General William "Billy" Mitchell (1879-1936)
Gen. "Billy" Mitchell, namesake of our airport, was a great military leader.  A man of absolute integrity, he fought for his beliefs at the risk of his own career.  He is widely regarded as the Father of the U.S. Air Force, and largely responsible for the development of airpower, both military and commercial.








See also related markers at other Wisconsin locations: Marker 291: The Medal of Honor and Marker 41: Meadowmere.
 

This image or file is a work of a U.S. Air Force Airman or employee,
taken or made as part of that person's official duties.
As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image or file is in the public domain.

Marker is inside the Observation Area parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment